Parents are always looking for great play spaces and Badlands, a massive new 30,000 square foot play area in Rockville, will not disappoint.
Badlands is designed to look like and feel like the great outdoors complete with mountains, a forest and lots of open green space.
But unlike taking the family to explore the real great outdoors, at Badlands it’s never too hot or too cold, your kids are always safe, and you can even sit down to enjoy a cocktail and complimentary WiFi while the kids explore.
The centerpiece of Badlands is an enormous mountain with climbing areas of differing levels of difficulty leading to two very fast slides.
My two year old was able to navigate one of the climbing paths on his own while my nine year old found other another, more challenging climbing path. There are also other smaller mountains for children to climb (and slide down) as well as tunnels and a mountain pass.
While my kids (ages 2, 6, and 9) could have happily climbed on the mountains all day, Badlands has more to offer. The second largest feature of Badlands is its extensive Workshop that has something to offer everyone.
The Workshop features a real workbench with actual tools, crafts, a chalkboard for drawing, LEGOs, and two air tunnels commonly found in STEM exhibits where kids can experiment with scientific concepts.
Badlands doesn’t end there.
My son loved the enclosed GaGa Ball court in which kids freely join and left games. Another fun feature is the exhibit space which currently features a pretty butterfly garden, a theatre with bean bag chairs showing nature-themed movies, and a café with plenty of kid and adult friendly food and drinks (including full coffee bar and grown-up only drinks). There are also four large themed pavilions available for birthday parties.
My kids and I all had a great time and we will be sure to go back soon!
- Badlands is geared for children ages 2 to 13.
- General admission is a bit steep at $22.50 per child ages 3 and up and $12.50 per toddler (under age 3), but pricing is comparable to other local indoor play areas. Adults and infants are free.
- If you think you’ll head to Badlands frequently, then save money and purchase a membership. Individual and family monthly membership options are available.
- A waiver is needed for everyone playing at Badlands. You can sign one there or save some time and fill out an online waiver ahead of time.
- Badlands offers birthday parties.
- Badlands is open Tuesday to Sunday from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. (Closed Mondays)