Burnside Farm’s Festival of Spring is an annual flower picking event at Burnside Farms.
If you have never been, this is such a unique and fun thing to do with the family!
Over five acres of flowers, and over 2 million tulips, are planted making it a colorful and whimsical way to spend time with your family.
Spring is in the air and the flowers are blooming at Burnside Farms!
What to Expect
During the previous season, we visited Burnside Farms when their festival of spring first opened.
While the tulips are the big attraction, keep in mind there is a lot more fun to the festival including a playhouse area, cornhole games, pedal cart track and more than 100 pairs of authentic Dutch wooden shoes to “klomp” around in.
During our visit, we picked five kinds of white and yellow daffodils along with several types and colors of tulips.
If you forget to bring a basket, there are a variety along with pails that you can borrow or buy. Scissors are available to use for cutting the flowers.
Once you finished picking, take your flowers to the check-out tent. Tables are set up where friendly employees count your items.
| Don’t forget these fun things to do this spring in the DC area
Masking tape lists the number of stems picked and the cashier at the end of the tent finalizes your order.
And don’t forget this makes a fantastic backdrop for some adorable and professional-looking photos of the kids.
After you pluck your floral bounty, look for the platform of Dutch shoes. People had fun trying on different pairs of shoes in all sizes, including a gigantic pair. I will say though, they are not comfortable to walk in! There are also picnic tables and chairs to relax at on a first come, first serve basis.
Rumor has it that the resident barnyard critters such as goats, pigs and chickens will make a seasonal visit to the flower fields.
When to Go
Mother Nature has a lot to do with what’s picking.
The 2023 Festival of Spring OPENS Tuesday, April 4th!
The best thing to do is follow Burnside Farms on Facebook as they are wonderful about regularly updating field conditions and showcasing their floral beauties.
The tickets for the Burnside Farm’s Festival of Spring is released about a week at a time. You can check for new ticket releases each Wednesday at noon.
Tickets give you a 4-hour arrival window and once at the farm, you can stay as long as you would like, until they close of course.
Prices & Tickets
There is an admission fee to access the fields for everyone over 5 years of age.
When you go, you will see the labor of love that goes into producing this event.
The staff are friendly and equipped to help in any way needed.
As indicated below, admission does include flowers. You do have the option to purchase additional flowers for $1 for tulips.
- Weekday Admission – $19 (Daytime Morning and Afternoon Tickets)
- Weekday Admission – $23(Sunset Tickets)
- Weekend Admission – $21
A limited number of annual passports are offered giving you more access to a great deal as the flowers planting fields are continually changing.
They also sell Annual Passports you can purchase for an unlimited re-entry during Festival of Spring and Summer of Sunflowers.
Good to Know
- The tulips can be found at 11008 Kettle Run Rd., Nokesville, VA 20181
- When picking daffodils, separate the leaves before cutting the stem. Tulips can be pulled from the soil and it’s ok if the bulb is attached to the stem.
- Do not mix daffodils and tulips in the same vase as the daffodils have a scent that can destroy the tulips.
- Visit the Burnside Farms website for more info on how to pick flowers.
- Portable toilets are on site
- There is a food stand selling smoked hot dogs, BBQ and bottled water
- Strollers are allowed, however, it may not be too easy to get them through some parts of the field.
- Parking is on a grass lot and pets on leashes are welcome on “Dog Days” only.
- Cash and credit cards are accepted.
- Don’t forget your camera! Amazing pictures can be had and there are little chairs dotted throughout the fields for great snaps of your darlings.
I’m looking forward to checking out The Summer of Sunflowers event which will take place in July and August.
During the fall and winter, visit their other location: 4905 James Madison Highway in Haymarket. In September the farm market will be stocked with pumpkins and cider while November brings pre-cut Christmas trees.