The Canal Park Ice Rink is a frequently visited place by families living in the DC area this winter.
About the Park
The outdoor rink is shaped more like a figure 8 than the traditional oval, mimicking the frozen canals used for ice skating in Europe.
The unique shape of the rink and the architecture of the surrounding park make this locale a must-visit for any family who loves to skate.
On a beautiful Sunday afternoon we scored a space right in front of the entrance booth.
The Canal Park has everything you need to spend a great afternoon with your kids, family, and loved ones.
My family had a wonderful time being here! The experience was magical, said my ten-year-old! The skating session was two hours long with a break at the half-way point.
RELATED: Best Snow Tubing Near Washington DC
Currently, there is no indoor area at all at Canal Park but there is an ample amount of outdoor benches to sit on to rest or change footwear.
Admissions, Ticket Prices and More
The prices for public skating options are as follows:
- Adults (Ages 13+) is $12
- Children (Ages 0-12) is $10
- Skate Rental is $5
- For Seniors, military personnel, and students the cost is $10
If you do not book the tickets online and decide to walk in, the rates are different.
- Adults (Ages 13+) is $15
- Children (Ages 0-12) is $12
- Skate Rental is $5
- For Seniors, military personnel, and students the cost is $12
- You get 10% off when you purchase the Season Pass
For detailed pricing and booking online tickets, visit their website.
There are public skating sessions everyday, with varying hours.
Once you have paid admission and received your bracelet you can skate as long as you wish, with in and out privileges all day long.
Skating hours are as follows:
- Monday to Thursday: 10 am to 10 pm (extended hours on school holidays)
- Friday to Sunday: 10 am to 11 pm
- Sunday timing are from 12:30 pm to 11 pm
- 10:00 AM – 10:00 PM on Christmas Eve
- 12:00 PM – 10:00 PM on Christmas Day
- 10:00 AM – 1:00 AM on New Year’s Eve
- 12:00 PM – 10:00 PM on New Year’s Day
Good to Know Before You Go
- The rink is open to the elements so call ahead in case of inclement weather.
- As with all ice skating be sure to arrive at the rink prepared with tall socks and gloves for everyone in your party and helmets for beginner skaters.
- The skates are brand new and very cushy. The smallest skates available are size 8. Helmets are available free of charge with ID.
- There are free shoe cubbies located in the benches around the rink and several lockers are available also free of charge as long as you leave your ID at the front desk.
The park is easily reached off of the Baltimore-Washington Parkway and is only one block away from the Navy Yard metro station on the blue and orange line.
Those arriving by car will be happy to find FREE parking on the streets surrounding the rink.
Skating at the Canal Park Ice Rink is a great way to spend a winter day outdoors!