The philosophy: To learn through stories, music, movement and puppetry in a rich, multi-lingual curriculum.
The description: Classic Tales ‘n Tunes offers four different programs for varying ages. Happy Hands is for Birth to 17 month with an adult, Classic Tales ‘n Tunes is for 1.5 to 4 years with adult, Family Circle is for Birth to 5 years with adult and Hop ‘n Bop! is for 1.5 to 4 years with an adult.
Teachers are very welcoming and friendly. Songs introduce each child by name to make getting to know each other easier. The class sits in a big circle on the floor. Each lesson centers on a theme based on a story read at the beginning of class. Children are encouraged to help tell the story through cues by the teacher or friendly puppets.
Spanish and American Sign Language are woven into each lesson in a user-friendly fun way. Music is a key component of the program using musical instruments, dancing and singing as a way to get kids engaged. Free time follows the structured period. Tumbling, dancing and “getting the wiggles out” are encouraged. Class is drawn to a close with a parachute and then a gathering for a cheery goodbye song. This class is highly recommended for new mothers or mothers with a toddler and little brother or sister. Infants love the music and watching the movement. The older kids love the interaction and meeting new friends. Moms love getting out the house to a cheerful environment and participating with their little ones.
The players: 1.5 to 5 years w/Adult. Younger siblings are free if they are under 12 months for the Classic Tales ‘n Tunes class. Children between 12 to 18 months may enroll with an older sibling.
Cost and Locations: Alexandria, Arlington, Falls Church, McLean, Great Falls, Reston and Vienna in Northern Virginia. A variety of related classes are also offered in Northern Virginia, the Washington DC and Baltimore metro areas. You can view their full Fall 2010 schedule online. Not sure if your child will like the class? Take a Fall Preview Class held on Monday, September 13th or Thursday, September 16th. There is a small cost and registration is required. Visit their website for full details.
Contact: Visit their website, email firstname.lastname@example.org or county the local County that the class is being offered through.
- Registration procedures differ depending on the location, so check the registration for the center of your choice to learn how to register.
- Classes tend to fill early. Register early for maximum selection of day and time.
- If the section you prefer is full, sign up for another section, and put your name on the wait list for the one you prefer.
- Classes meeting in the late morning have the most availability.
- A new song and activity book, specially written to accompany this season’s lessons enables children to continue the lessons and activities at home.
- Classic Tales ‘n Tunes offerings include year-round programming at select preschools and child development centers, in-home private lessons for children and adults, birthday parties, and educator workshops at your site.