The best part of The Cat in the Hat according to my son was “the funny parts.” When I asked him which parts were funny he said “all of them.” From the laughter and squeals of delight in the audience throughout the show, he is in good company. The Cat in the Hat is high-energy from start to finish!
The Cat in the Hat follows the book very closely in story and feel. As soon as we walked into the theatre my son exclaimed “That’s the house from the book!” Avid readers of Cat in the Hat will be able to speak many lines right along with the actors. It is a very energetic show nearly from the very beginning with big fun, big messes, and, of course, big laughs.
The characters in the play, are portrayed by puppeteers and puppets, except for the Cat in the Hat who is played by a live actor. Sally and her brother are in a perpetual state of surprise, Thing One and Thing Two fly through the air, and the fish manages to make his way all over the stage. There are also plenty of opportunities for audience interaction from confetti being sprayed into the front row to chances to high-five Thing One and Thing Two.
Anyone who loves, or has ever loved reading The Cat in the Hat will revel in seeing the timeless tale brought to live so expertly. As the Cat in the Hat says “It’s fun to have fun but you have to know how.” Now you know how to spend a fun afternoon!
What You Should Know
- The Cat in the Hat runs through August 18th. A sensory-friendly performance will take place on July 6th at 4:30.
- The Cat in the Hat runs approximately one hour, making it manageable for young children.
- Tickets are $20.00 for all ages.
- Tickets can be purchased on the Adventure Theatre AMC website or by calling 301-634-2270.
- There is plenty of free parking at Glen Echo, but be sure to allow five to ten minutes to walk from the parking lot to the theatre, which is located at the far end of the park.
- The path from the parking lot to the theater is completely flat and stroller-friendly. There is designated stroller parking outside of the theater.
- The theatre has general admission seating, but with only seven rows arranged in a semi-circle around the stage there are no bad seats in the house.
- The Cat in the Hat is recommended for all ages.
- Adventure Theatre is located in Glen Echo Park. On a nice day be sure to take advantage of Glen Echo’s playground.