- 3.2 mile out-and-back hike.
- The trailhead is at the parking lot on Log House Road to its turn around at Watkins Road.
- Mostly level with one rise above the stream valley near the turn-around.
- Follow blue blazes.
- Jogging stroller passable.
- Link to the trail map.
- 5+ years old.
What is fun for kids?
- Multiple places to access the stream for water play.
- Vernal pools in the flood plain where many tadpoles can be found during spring.
- Spring flowers to photograph.
- Multiple, large stags (down trees) where kids can test their gross motor skills.
- No restrooms or trash cans available (pack-in, pack-out).
- Multi-use trail – may encounter mountain bikers and horseback riders.
Hiking Along engages children in exploration of the natural world through hiking on scenic trails around the metro DC region. Groups of children, preschool to high school, participate in hands-on science activities to learn about the natural surroundings while hiking on trails. Some hikes in the Trails Discovery for Kids series may be in Best Hikes with Kids: Washington DC, The Beltway & Beyond (September 2014). Visit www.hikingalong.com for more information.