- The River trail is wide and flat. It is 1.4 miles out and back.
- The trail surface is a mix of gravel and mowed grass. It is stroller-friendly (bigger wheels will work best).
- The trail follows a peninsula of land with the Anacostia River on one side and the Kenilworth Marsh on the opposite.
- Link to the trail map.
- This hike is great for all ages but in particular toddlers and preschoolers. The trail is a fantastic introduction to hiking and nature.
What is fun for kids?
- July is the best month to go because all the water lilies and lotus flowers are in bloom. It is beautiful!
- Having the kids choose which path they want to follow around the many ponds.
- Walking the boardwalk to the river.
- Riverside access to the Anacostia.
- Seeing wildlife – many types of butterflies and dragonflies, bull and green frogs, painted, red-eared and snapping turtles, deer, beaver and a lot of birds.
- Small visitor center to educate about marshes.
- Great place for nature photography.
- Picnic tables in the shade!
- Hot, hot, hot in the summer! The River Trail is mostly shaded but not the boardwalk or ponds.
- Park is open from 7am to 6:30pm.
Hiking Along engages children in exploration of the natural world through hiking on scenic trails around the metro DC region. Groups of children, preschool to high school, participate in hands-on science activities to learn about the natural surroundings while hiking on trails. Visit www.hikingalong.com for more information.