Open year round, the Rollingcrest-Chillum Splash Pool is the perfect place to beat the summer heat or even the winter blues.
The large aquatic facility located in the Hyattsville area of Prince George’s County offers open swim daily.
The pool is geared towards families with younger children but offers aquatic fun for the whole family.
The pool complex is divided into three separate areas. To the far left of the facility there is a water play area for kids four feet and under.
There are multiple slides, tunnels and spray features for younger kids all dumping off into a foot of water or less.
The center of the facility has a pool area with depths ranging from 2 to 3 and one half feet.
Two of the larger slides are located here, one open slide and one tube slide that goes outside and then back in the facility and ends with a slow entry back into the water.
Note: In order to use the slides kids must be 48 inches or taller.
Those under 48 inches can pass a quick swim test to receive a wrist band allowing them access to the slides.
The pool area to the right has:
- An open swim area with a depth of 3 to 7 feet deep
- A water slide and a lily pad obstacle (which was a huge hit with my kids)
- 6 foam lily pads with rope “monkey bars” create a path to try to cross from one end of the pool to the other
- A spa / hot tub
Participants need to use strength and strategy to get across providing many “wipe out” moments along the way!
The water temperature in the pool was 83 degrees on the afternoon of our visit making it feel like a mini-vacation!
Local tip: Plan to visit on a Saturday? If you’re visiting on the first Saturday of the month, take the kids to a Home Depot Kid’s Workshop before coming.
The facility is well watched by lifeguards and feels well maintained. There is a LOT of chlorine in the water so bring goggles for kids who are sensitive to it!
Kids 5 and under need to have an adult in a swimsuit with them at all times. Kids under 11 need to have a parent or guardian in the facility.
Adult swim is called at 45 after the hour each hour on the weekends and lasts for 15 minutes.
Pricing & Reservations
Admission to the Rollingcrest-Chillum Splash Pool is $6 for adult residents and $5 for youth and senior residents. You can also check their full list of admission fees here.
Hours & When to Go
While the pool does have hours, they also do close some or all of it for swim team and other scheduled activities. To make sure we have full access, I typically call ahead to make sure there will be no other activities when we go.
The pool’ is open’s hours are:
Monday to Thursday: 6:30am to 8:30am
Friday: 6:30am to 9pm
Saturday: 9am to 5pm
Sunday: 12pm to 5pm
Getting There & Parking
Rollingcrest-Chillum Splash Pool is located at: 6122 Sargent Road, Chillum, MD 20782
Parking at the facility is free and plentiful.
Good to Know
- No food or drink is allowed on the pool deck though there are both drink and snack vending facilities in the lobby.
- Water fountains can be found on the pool deck and in the lobby as well.
- Lockers are available for 50 cents in both men’s and women’s locker rooms (and a change machine can be found in the lobby by the vending machines).
- Signs posted ask that children 4 and up use gender appropriate changing facilities or change in the available family locker room.
Take a break from your winter routine and spend a day at the pool in Prince George’s County!