Calling all dinosaur lovers (both kids and adults)…there is a brand new shopping experience you don’t want to miss!
In fact, on our recent visit to the newly opened Tyrannostorus in Mesa, Arizona, we overheard a group of young adults saying this is their favorite store.
One visit and you’ll see why!
Tyrannostorus is a store that while a store, looks like a museum (except you can actually touch everything!).
As you walk in the store, you will immediately be greeted with a full size Tyrannosaurus skull. Behind that, a life Triceratops skull. These alone are worth the visit!
You’ll see hundreds of items including land and sea animals, gems and minerals from all around the world.
Inside you’ll find a wide variety of both replicas and real fossils. It’s nearly impossible to list everything (you just have to go!) but you can expect to find:
- Dinosaur teeth, bones and skulls (ok, and some dung too!)
- Aquatic fossils including fossilized shrimp, sea stars, and more
- Various types of shark tooth (and yes, real Megalodon teeth too!)
- Small artifacts and toys for kids
- Tons of gems & minerals
You will also see many unique finds like a rhino skull, lion teeth mammoth tusk, and even a life size narwhals tusk. And yes, they are all available for sale too!
Inventory also changes so you can visit again and see what’s new.
The store has something from everyone from the 5-year-old aspiring paleontologist to the serious collectors and professionals.
The Dig Site
Right in the middle of the store is an interactive dig site. You can purchase excavation packages from 2lbs to 10lbs that contain different fossils and / or gems.
You will pour the dirt from the excavation kit into a sifter and use the water to sift through the dirt and see what you find. Once you find what’s hidden inside, you can place your findings in a special Tyrannostorus take home box.
The kits vary in price from $4.99 to $39.99 depending on size and what you will find inside.
When you are done there is a large clean up area to wash hands and get cleaned up.
The entire staff from the manager Bryan to the associates like Harry are very enthusiastic and knowledgeable about what the store offers, fossils and everything related.
You can tell they do this because they feel lucky to spend their day talking about what they love.
Tyrannostorus is open:
Monday – Friday: 11am – 7:30pm
Saturdays: 11am – 7:30pm
Sundays: 11am – 5pm
Tyrannostorus is located at 1816 W Baseline Rd, Mesa, AZ 85202.
The store is located within the strip mall and can be seen from the street.
Things to Do Near Tyrannostorus in Mesa
- Check out all the different reptiles at Predators Reptile Center (Fun Fact: the owner of this store is the owner of Tyrannostorus) (1 minute away)
- Walk through the Rose Garden at Mesa Community College (4 minutes away)
- Try a Japanese Mango Pancake at Miss Dessert (7 minutes away)
- See the planets at Mesa Community College Planetarium (3 minutes away)
- Put in a song request to be played on the organ and enjoy pizza at Organ Stop Pizza (9 minutes away)
- Can you spot all the sculptures at the Mesa Sculpture Tour (11 minutes away)
- Feed the animals at Superstition Farm (19 minutes)
- Try a dessert called Kürtöskalács (Chimney Cake) from Hungary at AZ Chimney Cake (11 minutes away)
- Altitude Trampoline Park (12 minutes)
- Have a burrito and some prickly pear soft serve at Topo Arizona (12 minutes) (14 minutes away)
- Try 3D glow golf at Imagine 3D Mini Golf (13 minutes)